Pet Emergency Supply Kit Checklist
In addition to your family supply kit, make sure you have an emergency supply kit for your pet(s). This kit should include:
- A pet first-aid kit
- Enough pet food for one week. Include both canned and dry food (be sure to replace the dry food every three months).
- At least a one-week supply of bottled water for each person and pet. Water should also be replaced regularly.
- Bowls for feeding
- Paper towels
- Garbage bags
- Disposable trays for litter
- Scoopable litter and/or cage lining material/pads
- Liquid dish soap
- One extra harness for each pet
- One extra leash for each pet
- If your pet is on any kind of medication, make sure that you have a two-week supply of that medication stored in a waterproof container. Remember that food and medications need to be replaced regularly - medications may expire and food may go bad if you don't change them.
- A travel crate or carrier for each pet, unless you can comfortably and safely fit two in one carrier
- At least one flashlight and extra batteries
- Cat owners will want to have one pillowcase or EvackSack for each cat, along with toys and favorite snacks or comfort items
- Dog owners will want to have a long lead/leash and a yard stake, along with toys and favorite snacks or comfort items
- Recent photos of your pets that can be reproduced in the event that you have to make "lost pet" posters
Learn more in our Information Center